Monday, February 10, 2014

Catnap Dress Contest: Jaime's Cat-Assisted Catnap dress

Here at Fancy Tiger Crafts, we have all been sewing furiously for the past couple of weeks since Lizzy House announced her Catnap dress contest. I mean cats and clothes, who doesn't want to win this?! A lot of us are entering so this week we will feature the contest entries of Fancy Tiger Crafts staff and instructors. Check out the rules and details here if you'd like to participate!

Jaime Jennings


Tell us about your dress - which fabric and pattern did you use? Did you make any alterations?
I made the Miz Mozelle dress by Jamie Christina and used the Cattitude print in Cloud as my main fabric with Cat Mint in Raspberry as a contrast fabric. I didn't alter the pattern - I've made this before and it fits me great so I knew it would be good for this contest. I didn't want to take any chances with trying out a new pattern on a contest time crunch! Also, I love that this pattern lets me use two fabrics and I love making my own bias tape, weird right?


What obstacles, if any, did you have to overcome for this challenge?
Teaching cats to sew. I thought it'd be cool if my cats helped me sew my dress, but it was harder than I thought. They really have to work together to get the pedal working while sewing.

Lucy, left and Looper, right work together to hem Jaime's dress

How many other cat clothes do you already own? Can there be too many? 
Well, in addition to numerous cat items, I had already sewn up a Scout Tee out of Cattitude in Raspberry so this is my second Catnap garment in less than a month...it's a dangerous road. Luckily, I don't think you can have too many cat items in your wardrobe.


Do you have cats? How many and what are their names? Do they like your cat dress?
Yes, I have two cats, Looper and Lucy. Looper is a black male who is 16 years old. He likes laying in front of the fire or in patches of sunshine. Lucy is a black and white female who hates vacuums, mops and cleaning in general. They like my dress a lot, and are now inspired to sew their own Catnap cat accessories.


How do you keep cat hair off your handmade garments?
Its a constant battle that is won with lint removers in every drawer of every room.


Why should you win the Catnap Dress contest?
My dress coordinates very nicely with my cats for optimal appeal.

4 comments:

Christine said...

OMG you are too cute! If only I could get my cats to sew…..

Karen Sweet said...

Awesome! Love the photos of the cats sewing.

I feel like Jamie needs to own this Lego Mini-Figure:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510ONBYTxzL._SY300_.jpg

Sonya Philip said...

Sewing Cats, well now I've seen everything!

Anonymous said...

This dress is too freaking cute! I wish I had any sewing ability at all, because I would make this in a heartbeat.