Thursday, September 08, 2011

Cat's Rural Jardin Quilt

Greetings from Cat, Gentle Readers. I recently finished this quilt, which I made for my mother. She and I share an obsession for French General fabrics, so this quilt was a delight to put together--although it was the most challenging quilting I had done at the time. I used one layer cake and multiple yards of various fabrics (all from the Rural Jardin collection) for the top, back and binding.




I used a heavy linen fabric (from the same collection) for the back, which gave the quilt a pleasing weight and sturdiness. For binding I chose a toile--not something I would normally do, but I loved the effect. I tried to quilt this on my Janome Threadbanger, but quickly realized that it was too big to handle myself and sent it off to be professionally quilted. The classic stipple was the perfect choice for this fabric and I couldn't have been more thrilled with the results.



I had never done sashing before and learned several hard piecing lessons. The biggest lesson overall was that no one except for me knows that it isn't "perfect" or didn't turn out exactly as I had planned. The quilt is beautiful and my mom loves it, which is ultimately the most important thing.

1 comment:

Sherrie Quintana said...

What a beautiful quilt it turned out to be..any Mom would love it! You take such pride in what you do and it shows..