Friday, April 15, 2011

Amber's Fairytale Baby Quilt

I've been waiting to share this quilt because I had to keep it under wraps until my little niece was born! My sister-in-law just had her first baby and I just made my first ever baby quilt for her. (I've only made queen sized quilts before!)


I'm especially proud of this little quilt since it is the first time I've quilted the layers together myself. I usually send larger quilts out to a long arm quilter. Since this one was small enough to quilt on my home sewing machine I decided to give it a go. With some tips and encouragement from our quilting instructor, Jessica, everything went smoothly. I quilted it by stitching along the seams of the patchwork, stitch-in-the-ditch style.



The adorable prints of Heather Ross's Far, Far Away collection inspired me, full of imagery from fairy tales. I added a Kokka storybook print, Echino and Isso Ecco fabrics. There are altogether six stories in the quilt. Can you find them all?


The back of the quilt is a soft organic cotton flannel from Cloud 9. Perfect for wrapping cute babies up in. Welcome, darling sweet girl!

3 comments:

Angelique said...

I feel lucky to have seen the quilt in person (it's gorgeous) and your niece is so, so tiny and adorable!

Good job, Amber on the quilt... and awesome job making the baby, Amber's SIL :)

Renee said...

Lila can't speak yet but she wants you to know that she loves it and her Auntie Am! Thank you so very much

LizzyHouse said...

EGON!